The most important aspect to a stress-free moving experience is preparation. We see people all the time who believe they are prepared to move, only to find out that there is a laundry list of things that they forgot about. However, at Transcendent we know how frustrating it can be to have forgotten something on the day of a big move. That’s why we’ve come up with a list of proven moving day tips that will help you remember everything on moving day. This article will act as a basic checklist of tasks that will help you stay on track during your move.
- Wake Up Early – The early bird gets the worm. An early start to the day means that you will have time to go over your moving day checklist and prepare for a long day. It also gives you time to start the day with a good meal.
- Wear the Right Clothing – This may seem obvious, but don’t move in your Sunday best. Wear clothing that is comfortable and try to avoid clothing and shoes with strings or ties as they can get caught on things while you work. For this reason, also avoid loose-fitted clothing. Remember, if you’re traveling a long distance, there could be a weather change. Also note that, once packed, you won’t have easy access to more clothing, so consider packing a separate duffel bag or small suitcase that you can get to easily.
- Charge Your Phone the Night Before – Make sure that everyone involved in your move charges their phones the night before. This will ensure that the movers can reach you come moving day. Also, be sure that everyone who is helping with the move has exchanged phone numbers. A breakdown in communication can really slow down a move.
- Make Lists – Yes, we are providing you with a list here but you will need more than one. Writing out checklists can save you a lot of time in the long run. Have a list of phone numbers for the movers and all other parties involved, like friends and family that are helping out. Have another for each person’s duties on moving day, and another for all your boxes and their contents. Literally make list for every set of tasks that will need to be completed. You’ll be glad you did come moving day.
- Pack Early, Pack Properly – The easiest way to ensure proper packing is to consult with your moving company before you start packing. Moving companies have experts with years of experience that can give great advice on how to pack properly.
- Moving Day Food – It’s a good idea to know what you and your helpers are going to eat on moving day. Many people like to provide food for people helping out with their move, so have an idea of what those will be. If your packing, loading or unloading takes longer than expected you may also want to take a break, so have some refreshments on hand.
- Item Condition Documentation – It’s very important to accurately document the condition of all your furniture and other belongings before the movers arrive. If anything is lost or damaged later on during the move, this list will make it much easier to work arrangements with the moving company. Also, remember to carefully read the bill of lading before signing.
- Confirm the Route – Getting lost can add significant time to your move, and time is money. Make sure to have printed directions to your destination for you and the movers, although they will usually have their own.
If you follow this checklist and consult with your moving company throughout your move, you’ll be fine. Remember, moving and storage companies are usually experts with lots of experience, so don’t be afraid to lean on them for help. For a free, no obligation quote, remember to fill out our online estimate form.